Hello everyone! Between now and March 30, 2014 there will be both elections for two Board of Director positions and the Annual General Meeting. Read on for more information.
Two of the five seats on the board of directors for our community non profit are available.
We will miss Cory’s vigilant attention to detail as our Treasurer and Martin’s practical know-how as VP. Thanks to both of them for all their hard work! The continuing directors are Priya Pepper, Franklin Call, and Chriz North Miller.
Now’s your chance to get involved and be the change you want to see! Elections end on March 30, 2014 with announcement of the new directors at the AGM.
Here’s how the election process works:
We use a “ranked pairs” voting method. That basically means you rank your choices from favorite to least favorite and a computer sorts it out from there.
Nominations open on March 2nd so start thinking about whether you want to run, or start arm twisting someone awesome. Nominations of others close on Sunday March 9th. You can nominate yourself until March 11th though. Send your nominations to email@example.com
If you signed up to vote last time you don’t need to sign up again.
If you didn’t register to vote in the last election go here to register as a BurnT member.
If you don’t know if you’re registered email firstname.lastname@example.org.
On March 13th, 2014 we’ll announce the candidates. Candidates should prepare a statement to be posted to our online forums prior to that date. Q & A and flesh pressing will commence. It’s a good idea for candidates to go to Burner Drink Night, Town Halls or other Community Events(i.e. the Social at Site 3 on March 23) that might occur. It’s also a good idea to ask candidates questions in the facebook group.
Registered voters will receive an email from ballotbin allowing them to vote on March 21st. You can vote until March 28th.
We’ll announce the winners at the AGM on March 30th, 2014. After the AGM we’ll post the results online.
Don’t worry. We’ll bang the drum and send reminders at every stage of the process. If you have any questions please send them to email@example.com
PART 2: ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
BurnT is required to have an Annual General Meeting. This year it will be held on Sunday March 30, 2014 from 3 pm – 7 pm at a pub downtown – location TBD. This will be a relaxed afternoon of official business mixed with drinks, snacks and an opportunity to hang out with your fellow burners…and meet your newly elected Board members.
Some of the official things that happen at the AGM are:
- The directors will report on the previous year;
- The financial statements for last year and this year will be presented so you can see how community money has been spent and ask any questions you may have;
- the Board might want to pass resolutions or change some of the by-laws that it has found don’t work that well in practice or could use fine tuning.
- The community might want to pass resolutions or change some of the by-laws.
The community will have an opportunity to vote on these changes at the AGM.
1) Any resolutions by community members may be received by the BOD Secretary (Priya) until midnight on Monday March 3, 2014 by emailing burntbod@
2) On Sunday March 16, 2014 an Agenda will be sent out to the community with all of the submitted resolutions for discussion by the community.
3) Community members can propose amendments to the resolutions until Sunday March 21, 2014. If the amendment is not accepted by the person who submits the resolution, then the amender may, with a seconder (by email or in person at the meeting), introduce a new resolution incorporating the proposed amendment. This amended resolution will also be voted on at the AGM.
4) If you cannot attend the meeting, you can still vote by proxy from March 22, 2014 to March 29, 2014 at 3pm by emailing the Secretary (Priya) at firstname.lastname@example.org the Ombuddy (Dave) at email@example.com
The AGM is your opportunity to have that discussion about the direction you want the community to go in…come out and share your views!